Summer in the South means great food!
In the South, summer and coleslaw seem to be synonymous. And while the cookout staple does make for a tasty side dish, it has always seemed a bit lackluster to me. This summer I decided something a little more enticing was in order. That’s when it hit me – not only could I substitute bland shredded cabbage for something a little brighter, I could also replace the mayonnaise and granulated sugar with healthier options.
This recipe has all the creaminess of traditional coleslaw, plus the tart crispness of apples, the sweetness of pure, raw Acacia honey from Savannah Bee Company, and the added surprise of dried organic cranberries. Burgers need to step up their game because this Carrot-Apple Slaw is going to be the star at your next cookout.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 sweet red apple
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 3 cups matchstick carrots
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Savannah Bee Company Acacia honey
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup dried organic cranberriesWhat You Do:
- In one large bowl, julienne the apples and carrots (if not already matchstick-sized) and toss them together with the lemon juice.
- In another smaller bowl, combine Greek yogurt, plain yogurt, Acacia honey, rice wine vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix well, then pour over the apples and carrots.
- Toss in the feta and dried cranberries and refrigerate until time to serve.
- Show off that slaw!
- Adding in fresh herbs is always a great choice.
- Substitute in bell peppers, raisins, whatever you think will work!
Submitted By: Jess Brannen