• 4 medium beets, roasted
• 2 naval oranges or clementines, peeled
• Goat cheese slices or high quality mozzarella slices
• 1/2 small red onion, sliced paper thin
• 1/4 c. toasted pine nuts
• Traditional Balsamic Vinegar
• Blood Orange Oil
• Sea Salt & fresh ground pepper
• Greens, such as arugula or mesclun lettuces, washed and dried
Preparation: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Rub beets with regular olive oil, wrap in foil and place on sheet pan in oven for @45 minutes or till fork tender. Once done, remove and let cool. Wear rubber gloves to protect hands from beet stains while removing skins. Toast pine nuts briefly in oven for 3-4 minutes. Set aside to cool. Divide greens between plates. Slice beets. Arrange alternate slices of beets, cheese and orange segments on greens. Place a few sliced rings of red onion on top. Drizzle lightly with oil and vinegar. Sprinkle with pine nuts. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serves 2 as main course; 4 as a side.
*An original Carter & Cavero recipe adaptation from Gourmet Blends.