Chocolate and Caramel Brownies with Hawaiian Black Lava Sea Salt
10 Tbsp. (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
10 Oz. best-quality bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
1 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. (firmly packed) light brown sugar
5 Large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
A few grinds black pepper
1/4 c. good quality unsweetened cocoa powder
11/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. caramel melted
1 to 2 tsp. Carter & Cavero Hawaiian Black Lava Sea Salt
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Lightly butter and flour an 8-inch square baking pan.
2. Combine the butter and chocolate in the top of a double boiler and place over gently simmering water. When the mixture is almost completely melted, remove it from the heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until both the butter and chocolate are completely melted and blended together. Pour the mixture into a medium-size bowl and let cool to room temperature.
3. Once the chocolate mixture is cool, add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, and pepper and whisk well to combine.
4. Add the cocoa powder and stir until thoroughly incorporated. Add the flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition to thoroughly incorporate. Then pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Pour small amounts of caramel onto brownie mixture about 2 inches apart, then drag a tooth pick through the mixture to distribute the caramel throughout the brownies. Sprinkle desired amount of Hawaiian Black Lava Sea Salt over mixture.
5. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies still has a light coating of batter on it when removed, but when inserted near the edge of the brownies comes out dry, 25 to 35 minutes. Let the brownies cool (the center will finish cooking to a nice chewiness), then cut them into squares to serve.
Courtesy of Dish Restaurant in Red Bank, NJ
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!