- 2 lbs. baking potatoes
- 2 tablespoons Gremolata EVOO (plus 1 tablespoon for roasting the garlic)
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 head garlic, top removed
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup warm half and half (plus a little extra depending on how creamy you like your mashed potatoes)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Bacon EVOO
- 1/2 cup bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 cups corn flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place potatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt.
- Place garlic in the center of a small piece of foil and drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of oil, bring the corners of the foil together and seal, creating a little pouch.
- Place the garlic on the baking sheet with the potatoes. Roast garlic for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown, remove from the oven
and set aside to cool.
- Bake potatoes for 30-45 minutes or until fork tender.
- While the potatoes are baking, combine topping ingredients together in a large bowl (olive oil, bacon, corn flakes, salt, onion powder and paprika), toss to coat.
- Place on another baking sheet and toast, in the oven, for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Once the potatoes are done, remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Using an oven mitt to help hold the hot potatoes, remove the peel and place peeled potatoes in a large bowl.
- Remove roasted garlic cloves from their husks (you can squeeze the bottom of the garlic bulb to help remove the individual cloves) and add to the bowl with the potatoes.
- Add cream cheese and half and half
- Mash using a potato masher until smooth and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon mashed potatoes into a serving bowl or platter and sprinkle with the corn flake-bacon topping before serving.
*An original Carter & Cavero recipe adaptation from MillPress*